Eligibility To Study In Canada

  1.  Obtain a Letter of Acceptance from a designated learning institution in Canada
  2. . Show proof of funds for:
    • Tuition fee
    • Living expenses for yourself and any accompanying family members
    • Return transportation for yourself and any accompanying family members
  3. Submit a police certificate with no criminal record
  4. Complete a medical examination, if necessary
  5. Satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay

Study Without A Permit

Those qualified to study without a permit:

  • Minor children already in Canada at the pre-school, primary or secondary level if one of their parents is Canadian citizen or permanent resident, or is authorized to work or study in Canada, or neither parent is physically in Canada
  • Foreign nationals entering Canada to attend a course or program that is six months’ duration or less
  • Family members of a study permit holder are eligible for an open study permit not attached to a designated learning institution

Work Off Campus

Study permit holders may work off campus for up to 20 hours a week during regular academic session and full-time during regular scheduled breaks. To qualify, you must

  • Have a valid study permit,
  • Be a full-time student
  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level, and
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

A study permit holder’s spouse or common-law may also apply for a work permit with validity of the same period of time as the study permit. Children can also apply to obtain a study permit with the same length.

What You Must Know

  • Do not begin to work off campus until you have started your studies.
  • You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements.

Open Work Permit And Study Permit For Family Members

Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment in the general labour market without the need for an LMIA. This exemption is intended for spouses who are not, themselves, full-time students.

Applicants must provide evidence that they are the spouse or common-law partner of a study permit holder who is a full-time student at

  • a public post-secondary institution, such as a college, university, or CEGEP in Quebec;
  • a private post-secondary institution that operates under the same rules and regulations as a public institution and receives at least 50 percent of its financing for its overall operations from government grants (currently, only private college-level educational institutions in Quebec qualify); or
  • a Canadian private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students are eligible for open or open/restricted work permits, depending on whether a medical examination has been passed. There is no need for an offer of employment before issuing a work permit.