Whether as a temporary or a permanent worker, people from all over the world are looking for jobs in Canada on a daily basis. The majority of foreign workers need a work permit to practice their professions in Canada. Also, the eligibility to apply for a Canadian work permit depends on several factors. Find more about the Canadian types of work permits and its requirements below.


Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Some employees need to be issued a document called LMIA before applying for a work permit. Do want to know more about it?

Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)

Do you know all the categories that a temporary foreign worker can apply in Canada?

International Mobility Program (IMP)

The IMP programs allows employers to hire foreign workers without an LMIA. But what are the criteria?

Work Permit for Spouses

Spouses of common-law partners may be eligible for open work permits. Do want to know more about it?

Work while studying

Have a valid study permit and need some extra money?
Find how to get a work permit while studying.


Foreign Nationals can work in certain jobs in Canada without a work permit. To determine if you don’t require a work permit, please see list of work that don’t require one:

  • Athlete or coach
  • Aviation accident or incident investigator
  • Business visitor
  • Civil aviation inspector
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizer
  • Crew member
  • Emergency service provider
  • Examiner and evaluator
  • Expert witness or investigator
  • Family member of foreign representative
  • Foreign government officer or representative
  • Health care student
  • Judge, referee or similar official
  • Military personnel
  • News reporter or film and media crew
  • Producer or staff member working on advertisements
  • Performing artist
  • Public speaker
  • Student working off-campus
  • Student working on-campus

Your eligibility to apply for a Canadian temporary work permit will depend on several factors, including the location in which you submit an application for a work permit. No matter where you apply, all work permit applicants, must:

  • Prove to an officer that you will leave Canada when your work permit expires,
  • Show that they have sufficient money to take care of themselves and family members during their stay in Canada and returning home,
  • Observe the law and has no criminal record.
  • Not be a threat to Canada’s security,
  • Be in good health and pass a medical exam, if needed,
  • Not plan to work for an employer on the list of ineligible employers.
  • Not plan to work for an employer who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages,
  • Provide officers any other documents to prove you can enter the country.
  • Not be otherwise inadmissible in Canada on other grounds.

Anyone may apply for a Work Permit before entering Canada. In most cases, you must submit an application to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually applicable if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to undergo a medical examination unless a valid medical examination results are available at the time of entry.

Foreign Nationals can apply at the Port of Entry in Canada if they meet any of the following:

  • From a visa-exempt country,
  • Holding a valid medical certificate as a requirement of the employment or originating from a designated country.
  • The employer has completed all the steps of the type of work permit.
  • Applying for an Open Work Permit.

Foreign Nationals can apply for a work permit from within Canada if they meet any of the following conditions:

  • Holders of work or study permits and their family members;
  • Allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but will require a new work permit to work in a different job;
  • Holders of temporary resident permits (TRPs) valid for a minimum of six months and their
  • family members;
  • Refugee claimants and persons subject to an unenforceable removal order;
  • In-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are members of the following classes, determined eligible for PR status: live-in-caregiver, spouse or common-law partner, protected persons, H&C;
  • Persons whose work permits were authorized by a mission abroad, where the permit was not issued at a POE;
  • Mexican citizens who have been admitted to Canada as temporary residents may apply for a work permit under any NAFTA category. U.S. citizens admitted as temporary residents may apply in Canada under the Professional or intra-company transferee NAFTA categories only.
  • Graduated from a program of study at a
    • Canadian university,
    • community college,
    • CÉGEP,
    • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
    • other eligible school.


An open work permit allows a Foreign National to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer:

  • who is listed as ineligible on the list of employers who have failed to comply with the conditions of the foreign worker program, or
  • who, on a regular basis, offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services or erotic massages.

An employer-specific work permit allows the Foreign National to work according to the conditions specified on the work permit, which include:

  • name of the employer where Foreign National can work for,
  • duration of employment,
  • times and period of the employment
  • the location of the work (if applicable)


  • 390 Rue Notre Dame Ouest,
    Montréal, QC H2Y 1T9
  • +1 514 282 9214

"*" indicates required fields